It’s official: Christmastime is here.
But if you’re anything like many of our readers, you’ve been so busy working, shopping for presents and buying groceries that you’re just not feeling the holiday spirit yet.
Not to worry. For such a small state, Delaware is chock-full of local craft breweries, and many of them have curated unique winter warmers that (after a few) will have you feeling both merry and bright.
Many of them can be purchased at your local liquor store. For others, you’ll have to head to the brewery yourself. We’ve rounded up all the information you’ll need to warm yourself up this Christmas.
- Brewery: Crooked Hammock
- Style: Mixed Berry Sour
- ABV: 6.5%
- Brewer’s description: It’s the most wonderful time for a beer. We jingled all the way with this fruited sour ale, filling our fermenters with the mythical & merry Jingle Berry, aka a bountiful blend of raspberry, blueberry, boysenberry & strawberry.
- Locations: Middletown, Lewes
- Brewery: Dogfish Head & Rodenbach
- Style: Red Ale
- ABV: 7.1
- IBU: 15
- Brewer’s description: Deep copper in color, Crimson Cru begins with Rodenbach’s world-renowned Grand Cru, a Flemish red-brown ale aged in oak casks, that made the overseas trek from Belgium to Delaware via tanker ship. After its cross-Atlantic journey, Rodenbach’s Grand Cru was artfully blended with a Dogfish Head off-centered red ale and infused with sumac and sweet orange peel that was then dry-hopped with Hallertau Blanc hops. The resulting beer is full-bodied and slightly warming with aromas of candied citrus, cherry, caramel and toffee, complemented by malty flavors of stewed fruits, plum, cherry, dried citrus and toffee.
- Locations: Milton, Rehoboth Beach
- Dogfish Head Beer Finder
Comfy Pants Imperial Gingerbread Ale
- Brewery: Thompson Island
- Style: Brown Ale – Imperial/Double (with lactose)
- ABV: 7.7%
- Brewer’s description: This Imperial Gingerbread Ale was brewed with real gingerbread, molasses, and a custom spice blend.
- Location: 30133 Veterans Way, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
Brick and Morty
- Brewery: Brick Works Brewing and Eats
- Style: Winter Warmer
- ABV: 9.7%
- IBU: 40
- Brewer’s description: A festive ale that’ll make you exclaim wubba lubba dub dub! This beer was brewed with a helping of Clove, Orange Peel and Vanilla beans and then aged on more Vanilla Beans.
- Locations: Smyrna, Long Neck
- Brewery: Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- Style: Belgian Tripel
- ABV: 9%
- IBU: 60
- Brewer’s description: We weren’t playing reindeer games when we brewed it. A hopped twist on a Belgian Tripel, this ale boasts strong notes of pine and grapefruit, a touch of bitterness, and a sweet finish. Why should the one with the nose get all the glory? This one’s going down in history too.
- Locations: Newark, Rehoboth Beach, Wilmington
- Where to buy: Iron Hill Beer Finder
Your Christmas Beer
- Brewery: Dewey Beer Co.
- Style: Session IPA
- ABV: 6.5%
- Brewer’s description: A holiday hazy bundle of ripe stone fruits, candy, and orange tangerine tied together into a perfect holiday beer.
- Locations: Dewey Beach, Harbeson
- Where to buy: Dewey Beer Co. Beer Finder
Winter Chills Ale
- Brewery: Fordham & Dominion
- Style: Ale
- ABV: 7.5%
- IBU: 28
- Brewer’s description: Warm up this season with Winter Chills, a limited-release ale with a sweet aroma and caramel malt taste. With a small bite and medium body, this copper-colored dry ale leaves a lasting impression, just like a winter chill.
- Location: 1284 McD Drive, Dover, DE 19901
- Where to buy: Fordham & Dominion Beer Finder
- Brewery: Wilmington Brew Works
- Style: Imperial Viennese Lager
- ABV: 7.5%
- Brewer’s description: An opulent lager suitable for consumption at every celebratory gathering. This forceful lager carries delicate notes of crackers and caramel. The assertive alcohol content is supported bright bright carbonation.
- Location: 3129 Miller Road, Wilmington DE, 19802
Not in the mood for a holiday brew? Warm up winter with Dewey Crush, Delaware’s newest ready-to-drink canned cocktail. Inspired by the beach, Dewey Crush was formulated at the iconic Starboard Restaurant in Dewey.
The spirit-based cocktail — available in orange, watermelon, grapefruit and lemon, and a low-calorie option, Skinny Orange Crush — is blended with vodka, triple sec, lemon-lime soda, and all-natural, freshly crushed fruit juices.
One can is made up of 7.5% alcohol with two shots of pure vodka and ½ a shot of triple sec, which makes for an ideally blended & balanced cocktail to sip on this holiday season, whether that’s with family at Christmas dinner or with friends on New Year’s Eve.
Note from Dewey Crush: East Coasters know that days at the beach are always cherished, even when the temperatures drop. But with a Dewey Crush in hand, you can take summer with you anytime, anywhere!
Where to buy: Dewey Crush Store Locator
Share this Post