The first snow of 2022 has exceeded expectations with much of Delaware now forecast to see between eight and twelve inches of accumulation.
Some areas in central Delaware are rapidly approaching that estimate.
A coastal flood warning remains in effect for tidal areas in Kent and Sussex Counties. According to the National Weather Service, widespread roadway flooding is likely to occur in coastal and bayside communities and along inland tidal waterways. Many roads have or will become impassable. Some damage to vulnerable structures may begin to occur.
Additional tidal flooding is expected on Monday evening and again on Tuesday morning.
The National Weather Service at Mount Holly warns that in central Delaware and areas of Sussex County, heavy snow will continue to fall through the late afternoon with a narrow band seeing between 10 and 12 inches.
For many, snow days aren’t what they used to be. As a result of the pandemic, companies, organizations and schools are largely equipped to ‘go virtual,’ meaning that snow days are, in many cases, just ‘work or study from home days.’
As a result of the storm, many state offices, schools, businesses and nonprofits around the state are closed for the day, including:
- Bayview Christian School –- closed
- Caesar Rodney School District — closed
- Cape Henlopen School District; closed Monday; there will be no instruction
- Capital School District: no in-person, virtual at-home learning or remote instruction for students or 10-month employees
- Delaware Learning Institute of Cosmetology/Dagsboro – closed
- Delmar School District — closed
- Hand -N- Hand Early Learning Center — closed
- Indian River School District — closed
- Laurel School District — closed, no remote learning; practices canceled; athletics events will be rescheduled
- Lake Forest Schools — closed
- Lighthouse Christian School — closed
- Primeros Pasos — closed
- Pyle Child Development Center — closed
- Milford Christian School — closed
- Milford School District — closed; no remote learning.
- Polytech School District — closed
- Seaford School District — closed; all staff work remotely.
- Sussex Montessori School — closed; remote instruction.
- Sussex Tech School District — closed
- Wesley PreSchool — closed
- Woodbridge School District — closed
- Delaware Tech — all campuses closed; online services for students proceed as scheduled.
- Delaware State University — all locations closed; all operations held remotely
- UD Carvel Research & Education Center/Georgetown — closed
- State of Delaware — closed during regular business hours 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Non-essential employees are not to report to work for this period. Essential employees designated for severe weather are to report as scheduled
- Delaware Judicial Branch offices — closed in all three counties; Justice of the Peace Courts 11 (New Castle County), 7 (Kent County), and 3 (Sussex County) will remain open
- City of Dover — closed, including Dover Library & Pitts Center. Trash & recycle closed – remove cans from roads. Essential personnel report as scheduled
- Sussex County government offices — closed
- Maryland State Government Offices — closed; teleworkers should work as scheduled
- American Legion Post 28/Millsboro — closed
- American Legion Post 64/Salisbury — closed
- American Legion Walter L Fox Post 2/Dover — closed
- Asbury Child Development Center — closed
- Blood Bank of Delmarva Rehoboth Beach/Tanger Outlets location — closed
- CHEER Senior Services — closed
- Coastal Community Church — closed
- Dove Pointe/Salisbury — closed
- First State Community Action — closed
- Harrington Senior Center — closed
- Indian River Senior Center — closed
- Laurel Public Library — closed
- Lewes Public Library — closed
- Lewes-Rehoboth Beach Meals On Wheels — no home deliveries today. Use your emergency supplies
- Lower Shore Enterprises — closed
- M&T Bank — closed
- Modern Maturity Center — closed
- Mountaire Farms Millsboro and Selbyville, DE — closed
- Shady Pine Adult Daycare — closed
- Somerset County Health Department — closed
- St. Michael the Archangel / Mary Mother of Peace — closed
- Village of Cinderberry/Georgetown – Bingo canceled this afternoon
- Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art — closed
- Westminster Presbyterian Church — closed
- Worcester County Health Department offices — closed
- Worcester County Library — closed
If you’re stuck at home and are one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have to work or attend class virtually, you may be looking for something to pass the time.
DelDOT has just the thing for you. Using the agency’s interactive map function, you can now track snowplows as they make their way around the state.
The map also allows you to track snow accumulation on many of the state’s roadways.
Charlie Megginson covers government and politics for Town Square LIVE News. Reach him at (302) 344-8293 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @cmegginson4.
Share this Post