Archmere football team runs out before their game against DMA photo courtesy of Nick Halliday

Archmere Holds on for Victory

Nick HallidayHeadlines, Sports

Archmere football team runs out before their game against DMA photo courtesy of Nick Halliday

Archmere football team runs out before their game against DMA, photo courtesy of Nick Halliday


The Archmere Auks were able to hold off the Delaware Military Academy (DMA) Seahawks for their second victory of the season at Fusco Stadium. DMA was coming off a commanding victory putting up 54 points in their home opener against out of state opponent Elkton. 


Even though the Seahawks jumped out to an early lead the Auks were able to take the lead and sustain the comeback from DMA. 


Late in the first quarter DMA got the scoring started after forcing an Archmere punt after a three and out that gave the Seahawks the ball on their own 48 yard line. Quarterback Odell Teel took the snap, turned around and handed the ball off to Edwards Emmens who did the rest. Emmens broke through the line of scrimmage then bounced it outside down the sideline untouched for a 52 yard touchdown for six points. 


The extra point was good, but saw a flag and moved the field goal try back 15 yards.  On the retry the extra point was kicked wide left giving DMA the 6-0 lead. 


Archmere then went on to score two times in the second quarter to take a 14-6 lead into the half. On a fourth and six from the six yard line Archmere quarterback Miles Kempski took the snap, rolled to his right and connected with a wide open Cole Fenice in the corner of the endzone for the touchdown with a successful extra point. 


Kempski, now on defense, was able to pick off a Teel pass  a few minutes later to set up the Auks in scoring position. Kempski threw for his second touchdown with 3 seconds left in the half. He took the snap, dropped a few steps then threw it down the sideline hitting Gavin Lee for a 40 yard touchdown to take a two score lead into the half.


It wasn’t until midway through the fourth quarter that DMA scored to pull the score within two points. On a third and goal Josh Roy took a hand off up the middle from 1 yard out to make it a 14-12 game. On the initial two point try the snap was dropped and Archmere was able to tackle the quarterback Teel for a loss. However there was a flag on the play to give DMA a second chance on the two point conversion. 


Teel went up under center. He took the snap and handed it off to Roy who was lined up in the fullback position, but he was stuffed at the goaline preserving  a two point lead for the Auks. Archmere did all they could to run out the clock, but DMA was able to get the all back for a last chance effort to win the game. 


The Seahawks got the ball back with less than a minute in the game. After a few plays they found themselves with an opportunity to win the game. With five seconds left in the DMA lined up for a 43 yard field goal attempt with a chance to kick the game winner. The snap was good as well as the hold, but Archmere was able to get penetration and block the field goal attempt for the 14-12 victory. 


Share this Post