Although October is recognized as breast cancer awareness month, community partnership breast cancer awareness events and fundraisers begin to take place in September. The cooler fall weather provides a great opportunity for the community to plan or support a DBCC partnership. Partnership events help our organization support survivors in our state who have, and who are currently battling breast cancer. There are so many fun activities from days and nights out to beer releases to 5ks and walks planned over the next few months, view them all on our website event calendar, and mark your calendars!
One of the most popular events planned this year for October 15 is the Monster Mile Walk for a Cause which allows participants to walk the famous speedway track, the Monster Mile, located at the Dover Motor Speedway. Normally reserved for high speed cars when the NASCAR race comes to Dover, this event has teams of participants dressed in fun outfits walking the mile-long track.
“There is so much energy and excitement at this event,” Lois Wilkinson, Program Director for Kent and Sussex County, said. “At the finish, everyone gathers in the Winner’s Circle where prizes and awards are given out.”
Other fundraisers include:
- From Sept. 1 through Oct. 5, Go Pink! T-shirts are available for a donation of $10 or more. Proceeds go to the coalition’s missions. Find them throughout the state, including Bayhealth locations, coalition offices and state businesses. Contact 302-672-6435 to learn more.
- Crooked Hammock in both Middletown and Lewes on Sept. 14 will release a new beer, “On Wednesdays,” an homage to a line from the movie “Mean Girls:” “On Wednesdays, we wear pink.”
- Also Sept. 14, the Dewey Goes Pink Silent Auction Donor Party will be held at the Starboard Shark Tank in Dewey Beach.
- Bras for a Cause will take place Sept. 21 in Dewey. Sponsored by the Women’s Council of Realtors of Sussex County, this event invites local businesses to enter a decorated and themed bra for auction. The bras are modeled, often — but not always — by men. Those in attendance bid as the bras are displayed on the runway. For more information, go here.
- On Oct. 1, Bloom Planners will donate a percentage of all online sales to the coalition.
- The Hammer Down Breast Cancer Battle will take place Oct. 1 and 2 in Middletown. The Warhammer 40,000 Grand Tournament will include 32 players and five rounds with an entry fee of $50, which includes a set of clay objective markers. The tournament will be held at Born to Game at 821 North Broad St. in Middletown Learn more here.
- On Oct. 10, the DelCastle Golf Tournament is set to tee off in New Castle.
- On Oct. 15, the Tory Burch outlet in Rehoboth will donate a percentage of sales to the coalition.
- The Deerpark in Newark on Oct. 16 goes pink with a 5k run.
- The Stockley Tavern Cornhole Tournament will be Oct. 22 in Georgetown.
- On. Oct. 23, the Elise Midili 5k Battle at Midnight Oil Brewery in Newark , with an afterparty at the Elilse Midili.
- Also Oct. 23, Delaware State University will hold its Breast Cancer Walk.
- On Nov. 12, the Boulevard Ford Lincoln Dealership in Lewes is holding a car show to benefit the coalition.
- Also on Nov. 12, Five9Moto Motorcross at Snake Creek in Harrington will benefit the breast-cancer mission.
Share this Post