The New Castle County Council gave its final blessing on plans to redevelop Barley Mill Plaza, signaling the end of an arduous, controversy-filled process that began when the DuPont Company sold the complex more than a decade ago.
On Tuesday March 10 council formally approved the go-ahead for the new multi-use development by the Pettinaro Company.
The green light marks the end of a process that saw vehement community opposition and lawsuits to thwart initial plans by the Stoltz organization to build a King-of-Prussia-sized shopping center at the location on the edge of Greenville.
Since acquiring the land, developer Greg Pettinaro worked closely with community organizations to introduce a consensus plan that could gain broad support. News last year that Wegman’s Grocery Stores had signed a lease to become an anchor tenant in the 500,000 square foot, $130 million mixed-use development was positively received by both neighbors and county council.
“We’re glad to have council’s support and look forward to delivering a fantastic project the entire community can enjoy and be proud of,” said Pettinaro.
Pettinaro said his crews had begun tearing down buildings this week, and the demolition process would continue until July. Site grading for the Wegmans and retail store pads could begin as early as August. Pettinaro said construction of the Wegmans building will start around May of 2021 with an opening date of April 2022.