The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles offered a special summertime treat this past July when they unexpectedly announced a rare release of coveted five-digit license plates, driving lines of First Staters out for the old school status symbols.
- In order to take advantage of the available numbers, customers will be giving up their current license plate number registered to their vehicle.
- Customers must pay applicable transfer fees.
- Customers that have the title to their vehicles must bring their driver’s license, vehicle title, vehicle mileage, and insurance information in order to complete the plate change process.
- Customers needing to obtain their title from their lien holder will need to go to the nearest DMV office and put a five-digit plate on hold. They must obtain an “MV35 form” from DMV and send it to their lien holder to obtain the title. The title will be mailed to DMV, who will contact the customer when it arrives. At that time, the five-digit plate can be put on the vehicle.
- The purchase cost of the reproduction plate from the Delaware Historic Plate Company, if the customer chooses to order, is currently $115.00 for either a stainless steel or porcelain plate and $5.00 for the sticker.
- No telephone or email requests will be taken. All transactions must be completed in person at the participating DMV office locations. For more information regarding Vehicle Registration, please visit the DMV website at www.dmv.de.gov.