College pre-gamers will have a special spot to get ready to cheer on the Blue Hen football team this year with a new tailgating area opening just in time for this season’s home opener.
“The Barn” was conceived as a way to pump up school spirit by the UD Athletics Department and Division of Student Life and it will be “presented,” according to the university, by sponsors Lyft and Klondike Kate’s, a longtime staple of the Main Street bar scene.
The Barn will open four hours prior to kickoff for home games and will offer food and drink options that students may enjoy using their University Flex dollar accounts. The new venue will include stages for live music and a bar area where beer will be available for purchase (sorry no Flex dollars accepted) for those of legal drinking age.
The new party playground will be located northeast of Delaware Stadium in the area surrounding the Bob Hannah baseball stadium.
Also, new to the student experience this year will be an updated drop-off point for the game day shuttle, which will unload students at Sincock Lane and the baseball access road closest to The Barn. UD will also be providing a designated location for students to utilize rideshare services on game day. Rideshare service providers will pick up and drop off in The Nest parking lot, near the southeast entrance.
More details on “The Barn:”
- The Barn opens 4 hours prior to kickoff.
- If you exit The Barn and wish to re-enter, you must wait in line and/or proceed to the entrance as you did upon initial entry.
- Entry to The Barn will close 30 minutes prior to kickoff.
- Once the game begins, students need to enter the stadium. The Barn will close at kickoff.
- Prohibited stadium items are also prohibited in The Barn. This includes outside food, drink, and bags. Bags must be smaller 16″ x 16″ x 8″ and will checked upon entry. Click here to see a full list of prohibited items.
- Students will have their UD ID’s scanned upon entry into The Barn.
- Guest tickets are available for friends of UD Students. See the Cockpit section below for how to obtain a guest ticket (a guest ticket to the Cockpit will provide the access a guest needs to get into The Barn).
- The Barn is subject to the weather and emergency policies that affect Delaware Stadium. Please be alert.
- Effective 8/1/14 the University of Delaware has implemented a tobacco-free policy applicable to all members of the University community. For details, visit udel.edu.
- Value concession deals for students will be available at The Barn for purchase. Students may use flex dollars, meal dining points, cash or credit to purchase food.
- Special concession promotions and giveaways will be available for guests. Follow @UDCockpit on Twitter and Instagram for the latest deals.
- Free water stations and cups will be available for all guests.
- There will be two stages at The Barn with multiple music acts throughout each tailgate event.
- Very limited seating is available. Arrive early for your best chance to grab a seat.
- Porta-potties are available on-site for use.
- Traditional tailgate games are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- The Barn is sponsored by Lyft and Klondike Kate’s.
- One bar serving beer is on-site. See below for the full alcohol policy.
- Beer will be available for sale at The Barn. Must be at least 21 years of age with valid ID to purchase and drink. For those purchasing alcohol, you will be ID’ed and wristbanded – cash and credit card only.
- Limit of two (2) beers per person, per transaction, at The Barn.
- Alcohol service will conclude 30 minutes prior to kickoff.
- Service may be refused to anyone that is intoxicated or acting irresponsibly.
- Alcohol is not permitted to leave the football tailgate lots.
- No alcohol is permitted to be brought into The Barn. All alcohol consumed at The Barn must be purchased at the venue.
- No drinking games (i.e. Flip Cup, Beer Pong, etc.)
- All food, alcohol and other beverages must be consumed prior to entry into the stadium.
- Please act responsibly & respect fellow guests.
- If you are found to be in violation of the listed rules, you may be removed from the premises and denied access to the game.
- Students and guests are reminded they must uphold the student code of conduct at all times.