The 4th Annual Delaware KIDS Fund 5K is this Saturday, August 3rd in Newport. To register, visit www.races2run.com.
The KIDS Fund 5K was started to help tackle the growing issue of hunger, right here in our own backyard among our Delaware KIDS. Although we focus on a variety of issues, including providing clothing and shelter and helping children who have been abused and those with special needs, addressing the hunger issue has been our number one priority because the stats are on the rise and not slowing down.
The Food Bank of Delaware serves over 240,000 Delawareans, half of which are children under the age of 18. It’s scary but it triggers a domino effect. If they don’t get the proper nourishment, they don’t have energy, if they don’t have energy, they become lazy and if they become lazy, they don’t perform well in school and then drop out of school and extra-curricular activities, which can obviously lead to much larger problems down the road. Protecting our kids in need is essential for the future success of our communities.
The 5K was developed to help put the focus on these hungry children, during the summer months, a time when the hunger issue doesn’t receive as much as attention. In fact, a $20 entry fee for the 5K can help feed a family of four, three meals a day for one week.
Our event would not be possible without our more than thirty corporate sponsors. Thanks to sponsors like Drinker Biddle, Geico, MySherpa, and ARS Fleet Service, the 4th Annual Delaware KIDS Fund is bigger than ever! And nearly every dollar raised from this event will be put back into the streets to help support local kids in need and providing meals to thousands.
Among the attractions at the Delaware KIDS Fund 5K:
- DUNK For KIDS Dunk Booth featuring “dunkees” Jim Miller of Out & About Magazine; Dave Geiger of Horizon Services; and Chief Michael Capriglione from the Newport Police Department
- Live broadcast from 93.7 WSTW-FM
- Mascot Appearances by Rocky Bluwinke and YoUDee
- United Water Mist Tent at the Finish Line to cool off finishers
- Massages provided by Therapeutic Massage and Wellness
- Creative coffee from Java Puppy
James Street Tavern will provide a pre- and post-race party under the big tent and inside the tavern. Cool off with a beer after completing the what some consider to one of the more challenging courses on the 5K circuit!
Each participant will receive a tech tee and microfiber hand towel. The overall top male and female finishers will receive $200 Apple gift cards. Other prizes include:
- A two-night stay at Hyatt Place Dewey Beach
- One foursome to Deerfield Country Club
- Robert Mondavi Group Wine Tasting at the Christiana Hilton
- $100 Gift Card to Que Pasa & Lighthouse in Dewey Beach
- $100 Gift Card to the new 16 Mile Tap House on Main Street in Newark
- One Month Fusion Fitness Memberships w/T-Shirt
- Gift Cards to James Street Tavern, Klondike Kate’s, Premier Wine & Spirits and Dom’s Pizza
- Multiple Christiana Hilton prize packages, including a pool party with food for one of the top youth finishers and 8 friends
Join us this Saturday at the James Street Tavern in Newport and help support Delaware’s KIDS!