So you’ve read my inaugural post here at Town Square Delaware. You’re probably wondering “What could this fifth-grade teacher have to say about anything aside from dangling participles and runny noses?” Well, I’ll let you know what I have to say: These here inches will be filled over the next few months (years?) with the most disparate assortment of topics that pass through my adult-onset-ADD-addled mind. These columns can and will include all, most of, or none of the following topics:
- Why education has become tougher than it needs to be and what we – as professionals, tax payers, and community stakeholders – need to do to get things back on track.
- How one can lose lots of weight by eating lots and lots of carrots and drinking a ton of water. And, oh yeah, a healthy dose of ice cream!
- How our local governments can better serve a constituency that craves issues-oriented political coverage as opposed to personality-driven rumor-mongering that does little to advance the public interest.
- Why too much government involvement is hurting our public schools.
- Old Vincent Price movies
- Did I mention ice cream? Lots and lots of ice cream…many of my favorite recipes, too. Get an ice cream maker NOW and prepare to churn ALL SUMMER LONG!
- Local coverage and interviews of those on the arts and music scene, as well as restaurant reviews of any and everything that crosses my lips.
- How I Learned Everything I Know About the Cold War by Watching James Bond Movies
- Wanna lose weight? I’ll offer you some tips. Take it from me – 160 pounds in 12 months and taken off ALL NATURALLY. Lots of stories to share. Some of them funny. Some of them depressing. All of them consequential to helping me lose the weight!
- How purchasing my first home made for one of the most interesting years of my life and why I’m so happy right now.
- My love affair with the West Coast
Those are just a handful of topics I’ll be tacking here at Town Square Delaware. I’ve informed my editors that it may be difficult to contain my whims of fancy and that Ben & Jerry’s Karamel Sutra tends to get these whims under control.
So, have patience with me. Behind grading papers, analyzing DCAS scores, and peeling gum off the bottom of my classroom desks, I will find time to engage in a dialogue here. What would you like to see me take on here at TSD? Name it, because I’m game. Especially if it involves bacon.
Mike Matthews’ column appears every Tuesday.